PBS Food has listed a great list of deep-fried turkey safety tips! They interviewed a fire chief (who knows from experience) on the top tips for safety. Follow these safety tips to avoid harming yourself, others and your Raleigh home over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Get the Tips
- Stay Away from The House – Set up the turkey fryer more than 10 feet away from your Raleigh home and keep children and pets away. Never leave it unattended.
- Find Flat Ground – The oil must be even and steady at all times to ensure safety. Place the fryer on a flat, level surface and carefully gauge the amount of oil needed.
- Use a Thawed and Dry Turkey – Make sure your Thanksgiving turkey is completely thawed and dry. Extra water will cause the oil to bubble furiously and spill over. If oil spills from the fryer onto the burner, it can cause a fire.
- Monitor the Temp – Use caution when touching the turkey fryer. The lid and handle can become very hot and could cause burns. Also be sure to keep track of the oil’s temperature as many fryers do not have their own thermostats.
- Be Prepared – Have a fire extinguisher (multipurpose, dry-powder) ready at all times in the event that the oil ignites
For emergencies, always have a phone handy to call 911. Stay smart and safe this holiday season!